Sunday, May 27, 2012

New York Trip

It was always in my plans to study abroad during college.  But due to the nature of the rigorous piano department it was never a logical option for me.  However I have had some pretty incredible traveling experiences through USU.  So far I have spent three weeks in Europe, one week in Fort Worth Texas to see the Van Cliburn piano competition, and now I got to visit New York City--all for free! 

The Music Teachers National Association had the annual conference there this year in NY which is why we got to go.  Dr. Olson, the head of the USU Youth Conservatory and a nationally acclaimed piano composer premiered one of his works at the conference so us students put together a proposal to go support him.  Also Brandon Lee, a top pianist in our department, won both the regional and state competition so he was invited to compete on the national level which took place during the conference. I felt so proud to be apart of the USU piano department.  It was confirmed to me that yes, we are in fact recognized nation wide for not only Professor Amano, but also for the Youth Conservatory.  I was introduced by Dr. Olson and Professor Hirst as the Youth Conservatory Office Coordinator, and I never felt more proud to own such a professional sounding title. I felt both honored and intimidated.

It was both inspiring and intimidating to spend so much time around fabulous musicians and teachers.  One thing I definitely realized was the huge potential there is for somebody to come out with a line of teaching products for the piano that don't look like they were made in the early 90's.  Melissa and I hope to start developing some stuff soon since nothing out there is that great.  

One of my very favorite part of this trip was watching all of the people.  I feel like all of the rich and beautiful people of the world live there.  It was so cool to see all of the fancy clothing, hair, and accessories to go with it.  By the end of the week I was so ready to go back to the west where people rock out in loose tank tops and chacos.  I missed my hippy boyfriend very much.  

About two months after this trip Dr. Olson nominated me to be the UMTA Bridgerland chapter president.  I of course said yes but still feel under qualified and intimidated by the responsibility.  The next conference will be held in Anaheim.  One of our chapters goals is to have our own display focused on how technology can help supplement piano studios.  We submitted the proposal but we haven't heard anything back yet...I will let you know!

I was certain that I would bump into Liz Lemon.



Stephanie and I enjoyed breakfast here almost every morning.  I thought I was being so "New York" but then realized it was a brand new Coffee Shop that came straight from California.  Nice.



Stephanie and I bumbed around New York together the entire week.  This girl fit right in.


Her pictures kick my pictures bottom.






This is a piece of the Berlin Wall.




This is the cafe from You've Got Mail.  It was magical to be there.







Metropolitan Museum of Art








I absolutely loved watching all of the dog walkers in central park.  This dog (on the left) made me miss Mr. Gizmo.


Greatest place to stumble upon ever.





 

6 comments:

  1. Absolutely awesome! I love some of these artsy photos. You're great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome stuff Emily. You are really making a mark in the world and enjoying the world at the same time. I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of these pictures!! It makes me want to go to New York with you. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's do it lady! That would be fabulous. I think weshiuld also go see Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a great time and the pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing. Seriously loved every second of that post. And you went to the You've Got Mail cafe?????? Um, this was not reported to me. I am incredible jealous. I think I need to watch that movie. Yes. I will watch it tomorrow night. And think of my sister, who got to go "to the movie". So awesome.

    ReplyDelete