Sunday, May 27, 2012

Fucoidal Quartzite Climb

Rock climbing has already been a big part of our Summer so far-especially for Paul.  He has always been very passionate about this sport.  Paul explained to me the reason he loves it so much is because not only does it demand a lot of strength and endurance, but it is also extremely technically and mentally challenging.  He says it is the first sport he has tried that didn't come natural to him.  And lets be honest, he is an adrenaline junky.

I am a bit baffled by my relationship with rock climbing. I have always been fascinated by the sport and involved with it on and off.  The biggest frustration for me is that it hurts my fingers, and HELLO people those are the money makers.  When Paul and I first went out I was never scared of it really, just challenged and motivated to climb harder and get better.  But then after a few bad experiences (nothing drastic, just minor scrapes and bruises) I experienced a mental shift.  As soon as I am on the rock my hear starts racing and I have to remind myself not to panic.  I am not scared of heights, or even falling.  I know that part of my anger and fear comes feeling inadequate.  But that feeling has never been an obstacle too big for me to overcome.  I am still climbing regularly, but am definitely not pushing myself very hard.  I am hoping with time my mental block will dissolve so I can progress quicker.  But until then, "climb on!"


Our friend Walter.  The picture says it all.






100% happiness on his face.

1 comment:

  1. That looks treacherous, and hard, and SCARY. I hope you guys are careful!!!

    ReplyDelete